Thursday, May 31, 2012

A coupla school gigs...


On May 16th I performed poetry and offered writing ideas for the students of Mrs. Guarino's 9th grade classes at Clark Magnet High School in La Crescenta.



On May 31st I was a judge for the 2012 Alhambra High School vs San Gabriel High School poetry slam at San Gabriel High School.



And a poem inspired by the...
 
THEATER

My mind is a stage
looking out
on the world
 
My thoughts, scaffolding
for the spots
about my brain

My ears are windows
which check for a click
so I know the lights are on

When I close my eyes,
the resulting black curtains
are lit with little
bulbs like I’m on TV

One crimson lantern hangs
from my mouth
quietly screaming
I am just a single voice
 
I feel like an unplugged
microphone stand casts
a shadow on my soul

All the people
gathered around me
judge my performance
 
I think I see a door
to quickly hide behind
in the warm darkness
 
Rooms I've entered
through my life—
closed doors now
 
Wait, a small red
ribbon on the floor
of my heart…

a reason to live

1 comment: